New Year...... New YOU!!!!!
Now that we're in a brand new decade, I know some of you may be contemplating "going natural." Although I love natural hair, and think it's one of the best decisions I've made in my LIFE, it's not my style to get "preachy" about it. I usually don't talk about it unless someone asks ME about my hair. Even then, I answer their questions and keep it moving!! I went natural for ME... so I don't feel the need to talk about my hair ad nauseum, UNLESS YOU ASK ME!!!
So, for you ladies who are relaxed, (and maybe "on the fence" about going natural) transitioning or thinking of doing your "big chop" in 2010, here are some words of encouragement. While you may miss your long hair for a while, I promise you will not regret going relaxer-free!
Here are some reasons to "keep it KINKY in 2010"......
10. Our hair grows in that way. If your creator meant for you to have straight hair it would be straight.
9. You can do fun and versatile things with black hair. Unlike straight hair, black hair (naturally kinky) can stand straight up, can be braided into complex designs, can be temporarily straightened without chemicals, and worn in its natural state again the next day.
8. It's in style!!!!! It's FLY!!!!!!!!!!!! Natural
hair is more and more acceptable every day. It is just another fashion choice; therefore, there is really no reason to go through great pains to change it.
7. Straightening chemicals are dangerous. If not applied correctly, it can cause burns, hair damage, and temporary to permanent hair loss.
6. Hair chemicals are really, dangerous. The food and drug administration says, “Hair relaxers and hair dyes are among its top consumer complaint areas. Complaints range from hair breakage to symptoms warranting an emergency room visit”. Also” In February 1994, FDA and the American Cancer Society released an epidemiologic study involving 573,000 women. Researchers found that women who had never used permanent hair dyes showed decreased risk of all fatal cancers combined and of urinary system cancers.
5. You never know when it might go wrong. Just like food, allergies show up over time, so do hair chemical allergies. What worked fine two years ago, might cause a bald spot in two years.
4. If it went wrong before, it will very likely happen again. If you had a bad reaction to a perm, do not do it again. Nine times out of 10, the chemicals are just as much to blame as the stylist.
3. Pride: Our hair is an identifying symbol of our race. If you are proud of your race, you should also be proud of your hair.
2. Be advised: the work place cannot discriminate against your hair. There was a time when wearing an Afro, dreadlocks or braids, your job could say you were going against the dress code. This is illegal. Don't tolerate it!
1. Time savings: Over time, you will learn to shower, wash your hair and get dressed just like people with straight hair. It is just a matter of time until you find a natural style that works well for you. I save so much time in the morning, because there's so much more I can do with my hair! If I'm having a bad hair day, I can throw on a headband or put in a few bobbypins and then BAM, I have a hairstyle.